Seeing that we are expecting temperatures with the Humidex in the High 40’s today; I thought I would share some tips and tricks for beating the heat!
Preparing your home for a heat wave
- Install window air conditioners snugly, insulate if necessary
- Close any floor heat registers nearby and use a circulating or box fan to spread cool air
- Check air conditioning ducts for proper insulation
- Install temporary reflector, such as aluminum covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside
- Weather-strip doors and windows to keep cool air inside
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings or louvers, which can reduce the heat that enters a home
What you can do in a heat wave
- Stay indoors as much as possible
- If air conditioning is not possible, stay on the lowest floor, out of the sun
- Eat well-balanced, light and regular meals
- Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty
- Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine • Dress in loose fitting clothes that cover as much skin as possible
- If your home is not air conditioned, consider spending the warmest part of the day in air conditioned public buildings such as libraries, movie theatres, and shopping malls
Good luck! And stay cool!